I've been using LyX for several years now on Fedora Linux, Windows XP, and OS X. I've never had any trouble adding extra layouts or text classes.

Recently, I switched to Ubuntu Linux (8.04 -- Hardy Heron). LyX will not allow me to reconfigure. I even did a fresh install without my additions and it simply will not reconfigure.

The exact message is:

The system reconfiguration has failed.

Default textclass is used but LyX may not be able to work properly.

Please reconfigure again if needed.

I've done a lot of reading and I'm not the only one who has run into this, but I have not seen how to solve it.

Can someone please help me?

--Jason Waskiewicz
 Bowman County Schools