I use ispell with the british dictionary. In LyX 1.6.1 (on ubuntu
intrepid) you can set this in
Tools->Preferences->Language_Settings->Spellchecker. Just select ispell
from the Spellchecker executable at the top, then type in "british" in
the "Alternative language" textbox.

You probably need to have the ispell and ibritish packages installed for
this to work.

Cameron.