That isn't what is in the drop-down spelling config.  I can have "English"
or "Canadian".  If I choose English, I get U.S. spellings, and British is
flagged as errors.  That is certainly not enough.  Perhaps aspell can be
influenced by my Locale settings, but LyX blocks that.  Certainly I can have
British spellings elsewhere.

Doug.