Since a few days I have a new "effect" with a since-long running lyx-1.6.1 installation under SuSE 11.1:

Quite suddenly (after some SuSE-Updating via internet) the German Umlauts were not represented correctly any longer, when typed into lyx.

- First I checked other software (OpenOffice, editors, terminal line
  input) -- they all still work correctly with respect to umlauts.

- I checked with older lyx-Documents, which hat German as standard
  language and German umlauts: when adding new keystrokes with umlauts I
  had again the said trouble.

- I tried a few more things like installing  lyx-1.6.0 that SuSE 11.1
  accompanies, compiled lyx-1.6.1 myself, tried everything under a
  different (new) user account) - BUT ended up without success,
  still clueless, with regard to the umlaut desaster.

- As it seems I need some advice, where to look for "my" keymap/keycode
  translation table troubles, and guidelines for a remedy...

Any help is  welcome!

Best regards

-KB

   Konrad Blum / kb...@uni-oldenburg.de / Tel. +49-441-798-3212