I am looking for open source tools to help generating index entries. I know
Lyx has an interface to the Latex makeindex utility but I am looking for
utilities to generate a list of the words, phrases etc to use in the index.
Something as simple as a utility to find all unique words in the index with
pointers back to the original location in the file would help a lot.

Microsoft Word provides a concordance file generator tool that also seems
useful. It takes a list of words and generates pointers to their locations
within the text.

I did a search and found some commercial packages: textract, macrex, and
cindex. But (a) I do not know how well they integrate with Lyx or Latex and
(b) they are expensive.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Bob