A S wrote:
I've recently started using LyX 1.6.1 and discovered that my AMS
article documents now all have sequential numbering of theorems and
lemmas. In previous version one could choose between standard AMS
article, and sequentially numbered, but now there is only one option.
I searched the mail list archive and release notes, but have not found
any discussion about this. Can somebody clarify the situation?

If you want to number by Chapter or by Section, load the "Theorems (By Chapter)" or "Theorems (By Section)" module, accordingly.

rh