Erez Yerushalmi wrote:

I've been trying to figure this out for a long time. Maybe one of you can help me?

I've been using \numberwithin{equation}{section} in the preamble for quite some time. Every time I open a new template, it takes me some time until the PDF output doesn't get jammed with a crash.
This must mean I don't really understand something.

When I remove \numberwithin{equation}{section} from the preamble, pdf output works fine.
When I put it back in, Lyx pdf output crashes.

In Document > Settings... > Math Options, uncheck "Use AMS math package automatically" and check "Use AMS math package" instead, and it will work.

The \numberwithin macro is part of the AMS package, so if the AMS package is not loaded, you get the aforementioned LaTeX error. The "... automatically" setting (default) tells LyX to keep an eye out for things in the body of the document that require AMS math, and load the AMS package if and only if it finds any of them. The test document _body_ did not contain anything that triggered loading of AMS math. Either LyX does not look for references to AMS macros in the preamble or it doesn't recognize \numberwithin as one of them. This also sometimes happens when someone uses an AMS macro in the body but puts it in ERT, rather than having LyX insert it.

/Paul