I think the easiest way to make it automatically in every transition page is
by adding the following command in the preamble.
The result is very accurate to get a blank but counted in every transitional
page. This is discussed in fancyhdr.pdf (documentation of LaTeX packages
fancyhdr) chapter 15.

\def\cleardoublepage{\clearpage...@twoside \ifod...@page\else
\hbox{}
\thispagestyle{empty}
\newpage
\...@twocolumn\hbox{}\newpage\fi\fi\fi}

You can replace empty to plain if you still want the page number, not
completely blank.

Regards
was

--