On Tuesday 24 February 2009 10:38:50 Ehud Kaplan wrote:
> I realize that this is not a specific Lyx question, but someone here
> might know the answer.
> My main problem in running Lyx (or Latex) on Linux is the lack of a nice
> package manager like Miktex is on Windows.
> I heard that TexLive has a package manager, but I have not been able to
> find it.
> Can anyone help?
> Thanks,

I believe the latest TexLive (2008) has a package manager. However, many Linux
distribution (like (K)Ubuntu) are still stuck withTexLive 2007---hence no
package manager. One option is  to download the TexLive 2008 DVD and install
it manually. Another option is to wait for the next version of (K)Ubuntu which
should have TeXLive 2008.

See here for TeXlive package manager and various caveats:

http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html

the DVD download canbe reached from here:

http://www.tug.org/texlive/index.html

Cheers,

S.
Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237