Dear LyX users,

LyX is a wonderful editor; its PDF output is perhaps unmatched by
other graphical editors. But the most common interchange method of
today is HTML, and LyX does not produce good HTML. There are some
tools for TeX -> HTML conversion, and even LyX -> HTML, but the
results tend to be poor and rigid.

So undeterred by the myriad of similar efforts I set to the task of
producing a simple, specialized tool for LyX -> HTML conversion, and
the result is eLyXer. It is meant to produce acceptable-to-beautiful
HTML code, depending on your browser's Unicode and CSS rendering
merits. To use it just type at the prompt:
  $ elyxer document.lyx document.html
This command takes a LyX document called (surprisingly) document.lyx,
and produces (just as surprisingly) a web page called document.html.
Ta-dah! The conversion is complete. For better results you may need to
copy the file docs/lyx.css to your working directory, and perhaps
customize it a bit. See this wiki page for details:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/Tools/ELyXer
and be sure to read the user guide included in the package.

A pretty example can be seen at
 http://vecinos-productions.com/rayleigh/book.html

eLyXer is very much a work in progress, since it only supports a
pretty small subset of LyX features -- it doesn't support too many LyX
versions or even operating systems either. It is basically a
home-grown tool for my needs, and it shows. However I would like to
share it with other people who may have a use for it, and in the
process expand it for other uses. Some LyX developers have recommended
to get it in the hands of users ASAP, to calibrate interest and so you
can have a say in future developments. You know, "release early,
release often" is still the mantra. It is a command line tool written
in Python 2.5, in case you are not sufficiently scared yet. Those used
to smoother sailings can wait until the tool can be accessed from
within LyX, which (if there is any interest at all, and as time
allows) should be done in the next months.

Adventurous souls can download the second public version 0.2 as a .tar.gz file:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Tools/eLyXer/elyxer-20090311.tar.gz
or as a zip file:
  http://wiki.lyx.org/uploads/Tools/eLyXer/elyxer-20090311.zip
Let me know how it goes.