Is there a means to make "smart" *single* quotes the default in the same way as is done for double quotes?

Or, alternatively, is there a simple means to have LyX recognise that if a user enters ' LyX should treat it as if the user had entered shift-alt-' (or shift-ctrl-')?

I suspect that they might be some way of persuading this to happen from the key mapping files, but I've already wasted too much time trying to figure this out. (In any event locate doesn't report any .kdef files, so I have no idea where to look for them them yet!)

Grant

Grant Jacobs Ph.D.                                     BioinfoTools
ph. +64 3 478 0095  (office, after 10am)               PO Box 6129,
or  +64 27 601 5917 (mobile)                               Dunedin,
gjac...@bioinfotools.com                               NEW ZEALAND.
   Bioinformatics tools: deriving knowledge from biological data
Bioinformatics tools - software development - consulting - training
 18 years experience in bioinformatics ready to solve your problem
Check out the website for more details: http://www.bioinfotools.com