On Sunday 29 March 2009 11:56:18 Piero Faustini wrote:
> Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@...> writes:
> > Why is it hard to use? You sing the mailing list and then get the emails
> > as
>
> described here:
> > The whole list is archived at various websites.
>
> How many people use mailing lists? How many use forums? Say 1 lister every
> 20 forumers? Say 1 to 10 (and I'm fair)? It's not me who says lists are
> difficoult, it's people. I never used lists before knowing LyX.
>
> > I don't see an advantage. At forums I always have to log in before I can
> > post
>
> and I have to open the
>
> > webpage to reply. That means I every time have to enable cookies in my
>
> browser, then enter my user
>
> > name and password and then write afterwards I have to delete my browser
>
> history and disable cookies.
>
> > With a mailing list I only have to subscribe once and get the emails
> > whenever
>
> I want to. I can also
>
> > store important mails at my PC, forward messages, compose messages out of
>
> several other ones, CC and
>
> > BCC people, .... All this is not possible with a forum.
>
> It's 10 years since last time I disabled cookies. I'm a Windows (95% of
> time) "integrate" internet user as millions more. I use cookies in my
> Xandros OS too. Integrate doesn't mean computer-pro. Sometimes it's
> opposite to pro. Children use forums. They always had, because they are
> very, VERY simple. Lists are not that simple, comparing to forums (unless
> you care about cookies, which 99% of people don't). Everything has its
> thumb up and down. I believe you that with lists you can do many things
> which a forum can't. But that's not the point. Lists are difficoult to use
> comparing to their advantages, so they are for PRO users, almost always
> have been, and in future I guess they will be ONLY for pro. Their worst
> difficoulty is to LEARN how it works (I spent some days puzzling and
> puzzling and sending messages to wrong addresses till I went to GMANE and
> used its forum-like interface)
>
> > I think that LyX is one of the best documented projects and our user
> > support
>
> is outstanding. When
>
> > you have a problem with LyX you'll usually get a solution within a day or
>
> two. So I'm interested why
>
> > you think LyX lacks information.
>
> 100% agree with you. I didn't want to say LyX lacks information. LyX
> information is GREAT and of 1st quality and fast and reliable and sincere.
> Just that if you can't have access to this information, it's value is ZERO,
> no matter why you didn't have access.
> Let's say my name is Joe Average and I'm one of those 1000 potential LyX
> users who weekly crash in site. I use Windows and used MS Access at basic
> level once. I know something about html. I'm smart so I use OOo Writer with
> styles. I use the internet everyday. FULL STOP.
> I found Lyx.org just because I read something, in a forum ;) of students. I
> [...]

Like Uwe, I am not quite sure I understand what's so difficult about lists.
That
is, unless you are used to reading mail in a browser and never used a mail
client. Lists have also many advantages, which Uwe summed up nicely. However,
I am also old enough to have used e-mail for years before browsing came into
existence, so what Piero is saying may just be a pointer to a generational
gap.

The issue though, is that the great support Lyx provides is (mostly) in the
hands of a relatively small group of people who very generously share their
time and expertise---Uwe himself being perhaps the most active member of this
group. What they prefer is the law of lyx-land!

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237