Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > Furthermore, the SAMPA-like IPA insertion thing is like 15 years out of
> > date. Linguists today use straight Unicode insertion via the Unicode
> > code point. But that's OK, I have figured out how to enter the Unicode
> > number to get the character I want in general text without having to
> > use a TIPA box.
>
> I think this statement ("Linguists today") is too general. I very much
> prefer the TIPA shortcut notation over unicode codepoints, because
> insertion is much faster. Also, the TIPA package gives you much better
> microtypographic quality (at least on LyX), because the unicode method will
> break character kerning (as long as you do not use XeTeX, that is).

I have to add that you will most likely _need_ to use XeTeX in order to use
the unicode characters of other fonts. With LaTeX, LyX will automatically fall
back to the TIPA package for glyphs in the IPA range (since the font packages
usually do not support these glyphs), so you'll get the TIPA font for the IPA
glyphs anyway.

XeTeX might also solve the font installation problem, since it can use system
fonts. However, LyX's support for XeTeX is still underdevelopped.

Look here:
http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/XeTeX

Jürgen