Nils Becker wrote:
> When editing text or math, in previous versions of lyx I often used
> shift-rightarrow or shift-leftarrow to select text letter by letter.
> This does not work for me anymore on lyx 1.6.2, mac os x.

Did you read the RELEASE_NOTES?

"Caveats when upgrading from earlier versions to 1.6.x

- Since several lyx functions have been renamed (see above), old
  configuration files (*.ui, *.bind) may no longer work. If some
  functions (such as Shift-right for selecting text) fail to work
  after the upgrade from previous versions, make sure you do not
  have any old configuration files in your LyX user directory, or
  adapt these files to the new functions. If anything else fails,
  try if deleting your LyX user directory helps."

Jürgen