General request: LyX should have the option of exporting just the latex code,
without trying to convert pictures. Now if a picture already exists,
it just gives the option of 'overwrite', 'overwrite all' or 'cancel',
but no option to skip the export of that particular image.

Specific problem: I have included a pdf file through pdfpages in a
LyX file. But now, when I try to export to pdflatex, it insists on
overwriting the pdf file with...? Well, It doesn't make sense to me.
It seems like it wants to overwrite the file with itself. I tried,
and it appears that
it overwrites the file with an identical copy of itself. Only the
'created date' changes. Again, it doesn't really make sense to
me. That doesn't happen with pdfs included as graphics.