Thomas Steffen schrieb:

But why do you need to set a bounding box

Is there any other option? When I include an EPS file, LyX always sets
the bounding box according to the header of the file.

Yes, but you can unset it. I never needed a bounding box, but OK I use EPS only
very rarely.

why an EPS when you want a PDF document?
(Btw. the EPS file format often makes troubles.

Different reasons - some old software, habits, the availability of the
PostScript printer driver for Windows.

The Postscript driver is independent of the file you want to print. Besides this I never heard that a PDF was not printable.

 To be specific, dia has no PDF
export at all, and inkscape only does it via Cairo, which was
completely broken until very recently.

I use here on Windows the one year old Inkscape 0.46 nearly daily and work there with PDFs without any problem.

Finally EPS usually crops  to
the actual drawing, and PDF always exports the whole page, which is
just inconvenient.

This is not the case here. In Inkscape I can set the page size to the size of the drawing. But even when you get an A4 page, you can easily crop the resulting PDF (many programs provide a "remove whitespace" option in the crop (or mediabox) settings).

This conversion is done by the
program ImageMagick that in turn needs Ghostscript.

Is it? Because it seems that the default filter uses epstopdf,

Sorry. ImageMagick is used the opposite way and to display any kind of images (except of PNG) within LyX.

regards Uwe