On 2009-04-22, E. Kaplan wrote:

>>>    2. When trying to import a Latex file into Lyx it gagged on the
>>>       umlauts in the Latex file ( W\"assle )

>>> How do I get around it?

>> Did you try the way LyX writes Umlauts?

> Yes, I tried both ways of writing umlauts, but both failed.

As you do not provide a minimal (but complete) example, I can only guess
that it is the encoding problem described below.

Here is a minimal example:

\documentclass[]{article}

\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}

\begin{document}

Günter G\"unter G\"{u}nter

\end{document}

When importing, tex2lyx works fine but the lyx2lyx step fails:

Warning: #LyX file created by tex2lyx 1.6.2
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/lyx/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx", line 83, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/share/lyx/lyx2lyx/lyx2lyx", line 76, in main
    doc = LyX.File(**options.__dict__)
  File "/usr/share/lyx/lyx2lyx/LyX.py", line 652, in __init__
    self.read()
  File "/usr/share/lyx/lyx2lyx/LyX.py", line 287, in read
    line = self.input.readline().decode(self.encoding)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
    return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 9-14:
unsupported Unicode code range
Error: Das Konvertierungsskript ist fehlgeschlagen
/home/milde/Texte/Test/LyX/LyX16-bugs/import-umlauts.lyx stammt von einer
anderen LyX-Version, aber das lyx2lyx-Skript konnte das Dokument nicht
konvertieren.

Looking at the LyX file in a text editor revealed, that \"u and \"{u} are
both converted to a latin-1 encoded ü.

Converting to UTF-8 did not help, but changing

-\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
+\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}

did (of course after converting the UTF-8 encoded ü).

Günter