On Apr 28, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Piero Faustini wrote:

Hello,

I would like to put 2 or more figures of an example in a way that they are somewhat "put together" for comparing them, and I want them to be numbered, instead, let's say of "1.1", "1.2" and "1.3" in a more convenient and logical way, for example "1.1a", "1.1b", "1.1c" (subsequent figures/examples should
continue the normal numbering: 1.2, 1.3 etc.)

For the same reason, I would like to have them put in the same line, if needed. I have a link to a html document which have several examples like this (sorry,
musicology stuff, my daily bread!):

http://www.rodoni.ch/MITODIFAUST/CD2/boito-mefistofele-girardi.htm

How to achieve this?

You can use subfigures (available in 1.6). See section 1.2 in the "Embedded Objects" help manual. This will give you exactly what you want, I think.