On Mon, 4 May 2009, tedc wrote:

Could the problem lie in the typefaces themselves?

  Yes.

  Each typeface is defined by the available fonts. The font represents a
weight (normal, bold), a shape (upright, slanted, Italic, small caps), and a
point size (10, 12, 14). Not all typefaces are available in every weight,
shape, and size.

  If we think of the monospaced typewriter face, and we're old enough to
remember writing with typewriters (manual or electric), it makes sense that
a typeface representing the old typewritten output would have only medium
weight because typewriters could not do bold (or Italic for which
underlining was substituted). And, because all characters occupy the same
horizontal space (the width of the type arm in the typewriter) we were
taught to put two spaces after a period to make it easier to distinguish
sentences. With proportional-spaced fonts that's no longer necessary (or
desirable as you discover when you try it in LyX).

Rich