Is it because lyx is trying to compile your file in a temp folder, but the
file you want to attach was not copied over to the temp location, so a
relative path (relative to the actual lyx file, not the temp file) doesn't
work?

I am also new to lyx, so lyxers, please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Xie Chao