Barankay, Iwan wrote:
>> Hi,

>> I am using the latest Lyx and chose lmodern (Latin Modern) as my default fo=

>> nt. When I generate pdfs the font looks just not sharp on screen. It prints=

>>  fine but I want it to look sharp on screen. I hunted through the mailing l=

>> ist but could not find a solution (e.g. adding lmodern to the preamble does=

>>  not help). When I use Times the pdfs look sharp on screen but I would real=

>> ly like to keep the Latin Modern or something that looks like it.

>> Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,

>>Iwan

Hi,

Thanks for the informative suggestions. Let me may be clarify the issue:

1)  I wanted a font that looks sharp on screen and will do so on many people's
screens: I want to post my pdf-document onto my webpage and want it to look
good on many people's screen over which I don't have control. This seems to be
a tall order but when I look at other people's documents, who may be much more
proficient in Tex than I am, then their pdf documents, using e.g. fonts like
the dcr10 look so sharp. Latin Modern, however, looks so thin and not sharp on
screen.

2)  I wanted to keep the Latin Modern look but may be that may not be possible.
I agree that Utopia or Times looks very sharp on screen.

3)  I really wanted to save time and not have to learn the innards of lyx or
tex on how to install fonts etc. thinking that there must be solution to this
general problem given that Latin Modern Roman is the recommended font in lyx -
but may be I am too optimistic?
Thanks,

Iwan