On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, E. Kaplan wrote:

Often one needs to list several authors for a scientific paper, with more
than one institutional affiliation. I tried to do this with the AUTHOR
text type and superscripts on both the authors names and their
institutional affiliations, but Lyx gagged on it. How can I do that?

E. Kaplan:

  Rather than superscript placement/sizing, why not use footnotes? You can
have multiple authors listed and define a footnote for each one's employer.
LyX will happily digest this.

Rich