not sure, I understood your problem. If you don't want to share the whole bib-file all.bib, but only the references cited in cited.bib, and your document is doc.lyx you could e.g. use JabRef as a reference manager and say on a command line
jabref --aux doc.aux,cited.bib all.bib
after having exported your doc.lyx to doc.tex by using file>export>latex
You would share cited.bib with your colleagues

This is already an improvement from what I was doing, thank you. It's not a matter of sharing more or less files. Rather, as you surely know, many scientific journal have pretty strict requirements on the formatting of bibliography. So you come up with a .bst that suits your needs but, then, if you are to submit a .tex paper, you just cannot send it using your carefully arranged format. Or else you need to send the .bst as well, and trust the LaTeX competence of your correspondent.

That's why I was saying that a way to resolve the references into the .tex (or .lyx) document as already formatted /bibitems would be nice.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Cheers,
Manolo