Thanks, that's a good start. Now Apacite also uses different brackets for comments on the reference (like "e.g.") than Lyx's natbib ( \citeA<pre>[post]{ref} vs. \cite[pre][post] ). Is there a way to redefine these as well? The problem with apalike is that it does not quote all authors the first time an article with >2 authors is quoted.

Cheers,
Christian