On Tuesday 28 July 2009 14:41:54 you wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 July 2009 11:25:34 Sam Liddicott wrote:
> >> I'm editing a 146K Lyx document (with no pictures) and the typing speed
> >> is dreadful.
> >
> > That's a tiny document.
>
> Good :-)

sl...@mydesk:/d/at/books/stories$ ls -l stories.lyx
-rw-r--r-- 1 slitt slitt 612194 2008-12-12 12:19 stories.lyx
sl...@mydesk:/d/at/books/stories$

That's my 200 page "Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting", which has never
had a problem keeping up with the typist.

> >> Characters come out at about 1 character per second with top showing 94%
> >> CPU used by Lyx.

What do you mean by "coming out at 1 character per second?" Do you mean it
allows the typist only 1 char per second input, or do  you mean something
else?

> > Interestingly, there was a similar symptom way back maybe 6 years ago,
> > where someone used an n squared algorithm instead of n log n, or
> > something like that, for wordwrapping. The developer found it easily and
> > did one of those forehead slaps.
> >
> > You're not using LyX 1.2 or something like that, are you? What LyX
> > version, what operating system, how much RAM on the system?
>
> 1.6.3 with 3Gig RAM, Ubuntu Jaunty 64 with radeonhd drivers.

I've got 1.6.3 with 8GB, and I have absolutely no problem like that. My last
box had 2GB but lyx 1.5.x, and had absolutely no problems with speed.