First of all, I simply didn't realize that mouse drag'n'drop did not work in Lyx and thought this could maybe a platform specific issue, not a general one.

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 11:43 -0400, Michael Joyner:
"Drag and drop" text is one the most annoying things I have found with
word processors.
It is too easy to do it by accident, not notice, and output garbage
for people to read.

I can't imagine how one could mark some text with the mouse hold-and- click it and drag it around by accident.

I think the discussion on going on here is somewhat dogmatic. Many people use Ctrl+X and then Ctrl+V to shift textparts around. That's o.k. and that's what I do as I have no other chance in Lyx to do this. My point is: Drag and drop is something many Mac Users (I am one) and Windows users may be very used to in everyday work. So implementing this feature would make Lyx a little easier to work with when you are new to Lyx. Those who don't like drag and drop are not forced to use it, it would be just another editing option (maybe to be activated or deactivated via GUI). Still, I don't see the problem in having this feature – if you want to use it, use it, if not, don't. I don't think this can create any trouble by accident.

It certainly would be a problem, if implementing this feature really costs a lot of time. I simply don't know this as I'm not a programmer.

Another thing is that is maybe not the most urgent feature on the Lyx- feature-wish-list. That's o.k. It was only a question.
Still, voting for it is legitimate.