It would appear that on Aug 6, Helge Hafting did say:

> Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> >
> > As it is the only one I leave on is "standard". And that to keep the
> > viability of the  "3-key,2-stroke" keybinding "<alt>+<p>[space]". Thus
> > I put up with wasting a whole line of screen space on mostly useless
> > stuff I would never ever "click" on.
>
> You can turn off all the toolbars if you like. I did not know that you
> could loose keybindings that way, but define the keybindings in a custom
> key binding file instead. That way, you can have the same keybindings
> without any toolbars. (And you can define other keybindings you find
> useful also.)

First let me clarify... I don't think I actually lose the keybinding
itself. But this particular binding. Nor in fact do I truly know
what to call the function it invokes. But several versions of LyX ago
I discovers that using the default (cua) bind file the sequence of
holding the alt key and pressing p, then pressing the spacebar results
in the same effect that i would get if I spent (more than 30 seconds
on a bad day) trying to get the #&R$&^$&#*^$ing mouse pointer lined
up so I could click on the arrow in that scrollbox normally located
at the extreme lefthand end of the standard toolbar...

IE to insert a new chapter I hit [enter]<alt>+<p>[space] then arrow-key
down until chapter is highlighted, press [enter] and start typing a
chapter heading...

But if I close the otherwise useless standard toolbar, the scrollbox
isn't on the screen, thus it doesn't open so that I can select
chapter,(or other {is it called section type?} choice from list...)
Thus the viability of the shortcut sequence I described requires that
the standard toolbar be turned on...

I'm sure that I could set the new line to chapter with one of the other
arguments to <alt>+<p> if I bothered to look it up and memories it.
But I can only remember just so many shortcut sequences, And this one
gets me a list of many selectable choices.

> To get rid of the document tabs too, open all your files in
> separate windows. (ALT+f w, or "File->New Window")
> Then, use your window manager to switch
> between them. This is usually performed by alt+tab, although some
> keyboard centric window managers might do it differently.

Yeah, As I said in a different reply, Because of the fact that I
usually open a half dozen .LyX files (with long filenames) using the
window manager to switch between them is not a good choice. Where as
my script always lists the filename arguments to LyX in the same order
So I know that <alt>+<D>[2] will always switch to the main story
document and <alt>+<D>[5] will always switch to my descriptive list of
characters... Unless I happen to be working on those same .LyX files
from one of my other linux distributions which still have older
versions of LyX which means same result would happen by typing
<alt>+<V>[2] & <alt>+<V>[5] instead.

Of course, since I insist on being able to work on this story even if
I happen to have booted another linux version, my shell script on this
one also has to automatically invoke: lyx2lyx -t 276  on them when I'm done...

But in any case, I thank you for the kind hearted help. I for one think
this list is lucky to have you... correction: *_very_* lucky ;-)