Hello again,

After some days of playing around I still haven't found a solution to the problem. Indeed it seems a very tricky business.

It seems that \leftmargin is completely ignored:

\setlength{\leftmargin}{2pt}
or
\setlength{\leftmargin}{92pt}

do not change anything in the pdf-output.

The labels are still standing out/are not aligned with the leftmargin of the main text.
Here's the whole relevant part of the preamble:

%correctly adjustment of covington examples
\renewenvironment{example}{%
\begin{examples}
\settowidth{\labelwidth}{(0.00)}
\setlength{\leftmargin}{92pt}