Steve Litt wrote:
> > The correct solution would be to put the "|" character in an ERT.
>
> That's not a very good solution because it forces the user to do extra work
>  in every index range of every document, and also gravely increases the
>  troubleshooting effort if the user messes up the nesting of |( and |).

As I've explained on trac, ERT is the correct solution because "|" is an
active character and thus "native" LaTeX (that is actually not yet natively
supported by LyX).

It is pure coincidence that it also works without ERT in T1. So T1 and non-ERT
is the exception, ERT is the rule (unless we have native support).

>  From my perspective as a book author, T1 would be preferable to ERT, and
>  even my silly kludge script would be preferable.

This only works if T1 is the desired font encoding. For any other than Latin
script, it won't. So it's a pretty limited workaround.

> T1, ERT and my script are all workarounds. The SOLUTION would involve
> recognition by LyX that |( or |) at the end of a string inside an IDX tag
> defines a range, so do not convert the pipe symbol to \textbar etc.

No, automatic fiddling behind the user's back is not an option.

> Or, if
> that's impossible, when the LyX user requests an index tag, pop up a dialog
> box asking the name and whether it's begin-range, end-range, or
>  this-location.

Yes, something like this.

Jürgen