Manolo Martí­nez schrieb:

Do you guys have opinions regarding which is the best place to add explanations to a figure? A longish list of things such as "the pointed line means blah, and the blue square stands for blah"...

The "figure" box in the float is too small for that -and everything you put in there appears in the figure index. I could do it in the main text, but I'd rather make sure that it is just beside the float.

That depends on your topic. For example in physics everything is written to the caption of the figure. The result are figures with huge captions. For engineers it is quite the opposite: the caption only contains a short description of the image, all explanations and details are given in the main text of the document.

regards Uwe