I use LyX on OS X.
However, I was able to get it added to 350 university lab PCs (Windows) that
already had LaTeX on them due to a departmental request.

Now any time I get asked, "How did you make that pdf?" or "You don't use
Word? What do you use?", I can say, "Let me show you something
interesting....."

Besides, it really doesn't matter what fraction of LyX users are using this
or that platform. What matters is what fraction of the techies, those people
that others turn to for advice. More and more these people use Linux or OS
X. Only the hard-core gamers continue to cling to Windows. (And those people
who have to use a Windows-only program for professional reasons. They're not
clinging to Windows but stuck with it.)

My mantra these days is "Do you value your time and security? Then leave
Windows behind. Let me tell you about the alternatives..."

-- Rich