On 2009-09-15, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Yago schrieb:

>> Uwe, as you know Javier Bezos is an reconigsed expert on spanish
>> tipography. If you can read spanish

> I'm currently learning Spanish and thus cannot understand everything yet.

The answer stated, that in the given example, the square brackets are more
irritating than helpfull.

> This will be my last reply to this topic: The most important thing is
> that people will understand what you are _exactly_ meaning. When I
> (German) and the other LyX user (US American) misunderstood your
> typesetting, then we both obviously didn't understand what you meant.

Most important is, that the *audience* understands the meaning. I the
convention in the field is to do without brackets, this is to be
preferred when publishing for this audience. If misunderstanding arised
in this list, brackets are helpful *in the context of this list*.

The presence of different mathematical notations and conventions is a
fact that we have to live with. There is no "one-size-fits-all" solution.

While at school I learned to write sin(x), cos(x), ..., the IAPP's
Symbols, Units and Nomenclature in Physics states:

  sin x      sine of x
  cos x      cosine of x

and (in the German translation "Symbole, Einheiten und Nomenklatur in der
Physik, Weinheim 1981):

  Es wird empfohlen (it is recommended) in Ausdrücken wie

    sin {2\pi(x-x_0)/\lambda}
    exp {-V(r)/kT)}

  das Argument zwischen Klammern zu setzen, sofern das Argument nicht ein
  einfaches Produck aus zwei Größen ist, z.\,B. $\sin kx$

i.e. braces (not brackets) are recommended (but optional) for complex
arguments.

Günter