Lyx */does/* know a lot about the citations, since when I click on one, it shows its details (and in the left column all the other citations that have been included in the Lyx file), but not the formatting options. I inserted the references into the Lyx file through the circuitous route of exporting the Lyx file to Latex, using \begin{thebibiolgraphy} ... end{thebibliography} etc. with the .bbl file pasted in.
Once it compiled correctly with pdflatex, I then imported it back to Lyx.

EK