Just my two cents:

I would wait until the crashes are fixed. It is true that you don't loose any work as LyX keeps on running, but the crash warnings will also keep nagging you as they appear quite often.

My own "experiments" on compiling LyX on 10.6 have failed, as I apparently have installed the wrong QT-version and cannot get rid of it (see my previous post on this). There seems to be a QT-from- Macports-Snow-Leopard incompatibility issue as well. So I'm also waiting for an "official" solution, hoping I will be rescued by the LyX-Mac developers.

Johannes