On 10/05/2009 03:15 PM, Daniel Joshua Stark wrote:
Dear all,

I am working on a thesis. Currently, I have to put the list of committee members in the LaTeX preamble with the following command:

\committee{Thomas C. Killian, Chair \\Associate <smb://Associate> Professor of Physics and Astronomy \and Robert M. Raphael, Thesis Advisor \\Associate <smb://Associate> Professor of Bioengineering \and Jason H. Hafner \\Associate <smb://Associate> Professor of Physics and Astronomy \and Paul M. Stevenson \\Professor <smb://Professor> of Physics and Astronomy}

I would like to modify the layout file to have an "Committee member" and "Committee department" environment so that I can display the committee list visually within the document, much like the Title or Author.

I have tried adding something along the lines of:
Style "Committee Member"
Margin Static
LatexType Command
Category FrontMatter
InTitle 1
OptionalArgs 1
LatexName committee
LabelSep xxx
ParSkip 0.4
TopSep 1.3
BottomSep 0.7
ParSep 0.7
Align Center
LabelType No_Label
Font
 Size Large
EndFont
End

But it will only put the last member down (the Paul Stevens). I don't know how to set up the \and and the \\ to put multiple members and their departments down.

Does anyone have any clue on how to do this?

One thing to say first: I think LyX is limited in the same way as regards authors. You have to enter the "\and" and so forth manually in the authors field. So one possibility is to accept this, and enter the committee members, etc, into the Committee layout you already have, as:

Thomas C. Killian, Chair [Newline]Associate <smb://Associate> Professor of Physics and Astronomy [ERT]\and[/ERT]Robert M. Raphael, Thesis Advisor[Newline]Associate <smb://Associate> Professor of Bioengineering[ERT]\and[/ERT]etc. etc.

You save a bit of ERT there. (As for Newline, you probably know that you get this with Ctrl-Enter.)

If you don't want to do that, then you have to create a new set of macros that will collect the names of your committee members and their departments, and then output them. I.e., we basically want an array of committee members and their departments, and then we loop over the arrays to output them as argument to \committee (which itself now needs to be redefined somehow). Unfortunately, my LaTeX knowledge is giving out at this point, and I'm not sure how to do this kind of thing in LaTeX.

Richard