On 10/16/2009 02:32 AM, Derek Kulinski wrote:
Hello,

First of all I would like to say I'm a total novice in using LaTeX.
I recently tried LyX and I just fell in love with it.

Anyway, before I tried LyX I created my resume in pure LaTeX. I simply
found an example and modified it to my needs. I tried to convert it to
LyX format, but I was unsuccessful.

When I use tex2lyx:
$ tex2lyx -f resume.tex resume.lyx

I'm getting following error:
Error: Could not find layout for textclass "res".

The res.cls is a standard package that was installed by
texlive-latex-extra package on Ubuntu 9.04 (which I'm using).

Please advise me what should I do to convert my resume to LyX format.

The problem is that LyX doesn't know about the res package. What we call "layout files" (*.layout) are what tell LyX about the various document classes, such as article.cls, etc, etc. So you have a couple options.

(i) Make a layout file for res.cls. This is not a trivial matter, but it is not impossible, either. Probably you could start with one of the layouts for a different CV class, and modify that. See Chapter 5 of the Customization manual for details.

(ii) Create a new document in LyX. Choose one of the other CV layouts. Now cut and paste from your old CV into your new one.

Both will work.

Richard