Big problem for me, but also for the next release of LyX:

tufte-book.layout - works well,
tufte-handout.layout doesn't work with actual release of Tufte (2009 May 17)

Please watch, Uwe, Jürgen
 & all Tufte-interested LyX-Developer & User:

While the new tufte-book.layout, created by Uwe Stöhr

- http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Tufte-book => "Tufte-book proposal … for the layout file where less ERT needs to be used" -

works well with the the actual release of tufte-latex (http://code.google.com/p/tufte-latex/downloads/list) the vanguard tufte-handout.layout, produced kindly by Jürgen Spitzmüller almost one year ago
=> http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Tufte-handout,
does no longer work well with the actual release of tufte-handout.cls (and tufte-common.sty). There are uncountable latex errors with it and Lyx refuses to offer the pdf-latex view. Though in the the tmp dir I find one, more or less usable on my superficial look, but: without the bibliography and citations.