On 11/03/09, Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de> wrote:
Rob Oakes schrieb:

> The standard LyX
> documentation is so good that I've found myself struggling to find other
> topics that need to be covered, other than a tremendously quick overview
> of the program and instructions on where to find the docs.

Wow, what a compliment for the docs!
I also don't know what to describe as addition to the docs. Otherwise I would
have added it to the
docs ;-).

But have a look at wiki.lyx.org, you find there many useful information around
LyX and also some HowTo.

regards Uwe

The LyX documentation is indeed excellent. What I feel is still missing---and
I have been planning to write, in fact, once I learn the basics---is a task-
oriented more or less step-by-step guide on how to write layouts file for
(previously created) latex classes and how to extend existing classes purely
with layouts (a topic Steve Litt has approached, but I think it could be
extended). The "Customizing LyX" manual is great and contains lots of details
on the various commands to be used in layouts (thanks Uwe!), but it could be
supplemented by a chapter on "How to extend the article class [or koma-
article, etc.]." The chapter could show how to add new features to class in
lyx only, or how to extend the latex class with new features and then create a
layout to render those in Lyx.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
Texas A&M University              Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  fran...@philosophy.tamu.edu
College Station, TX 77843-4237