On Sunday 06 December 2009 14:01:01 Luca Carlon wrote:
> Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > Manveru wrote:
> >> The above statement is true only if use design the document for
> >> printing, where the space to bind/glue will be added at final prepress
> >> stage. In case of document printed on laser printer and then manually
> >> binded the inner margins have to be wider than outer.
> >
> > For this case, the classes provide an additional binding correction,
> > which is _not_ to be considered as part of the page layout.
> >
> > See for instance the BCOR option with KOMA script.
> >
> > Jürgen
>
> In fact I think that the binding will take a little space, so the sum
> won't be equal to the free space on the outer margin. Is there any way
> to add a correction with the book document class? If I understood
> correctly, if they tell me they need 0.5cm for the binding, I insert a
> correction of 0.5cm, which will be added to the inner margin and I would
> be ok, right?
> Thanks for the information!

Hi Luca,

As a practical matter, do the following:

1) Create a PDF file from your current document
2) Document->Settings->Page_margins
3) Uncheck the default_margins checkbox
4) Set the inner margin to compensate for binding
5) Set top, bottom and outer margins to yield the same print width and height
6) Set the header and footer associated margins commensurately
7) Click the OK button

My print books are all staple bound, which means the book can't fold flat and
a huge amount of space is removed from the inner margins. If I didn't add
significant space to the inner margins, the left of right pages and the right
of left pages would be difficult or impossible to read. So I follow preceding
steps to fix the problem. I also use those steps if I want my finished
document to achieve a certain page count.

Jürgen: Thanks for your explanation of the default lesser inner margin. It
never occurred to me that there could exist a book that is bound so as not to
consume inner margin, so up until your explanation mine was always "some fool
made a mistake."

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package