On 12/08/2009 12:38 PM, Ken wrote:
Jürgen Spitzmüller<sp...@...>  writes:

Ken wrote:

"The release comes with many fixes and improvements. A number of newly
reported crashes were fixed, new layouts and modules were included and
some long-standing requests were implemented (e.g., a working LyX
server on the Windows OS, finally enabling the communication with other
applications such as JabRef on this platform as well)."

How does one implement this in Windows?  Is this related to a "lyxpipe"?
Yes. The process is described in chapter 4 of the Help>  Additional
Features.
Hi. Thanks for the reply.  I looked at the Additional Features, Section 4.2, 4.2
Starting the LyX Server.  I am confused by whether in the path, in my case
something like
C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application Data\lyx16\lyxpipe
the final "lyxpipe" reference is to a folder or a file?

I created an empty folder
C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application Data\lyx16\lyxpipe
and defined the path as
C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application Data\lyx16\lyxpipe

You don't need (or want) to create the folder. LyX wants to create two files: lyxpipe.in and lyxpipe.out. What you're telling LyX is the full pathname, minus the extensions.

Still....

but when I ran LyX received the debug messages:
Setting debug level to 0
LyXComm: Could not create pipe C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application
Data\lyx16\lyxpipe.in
LyXComm: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
LyXComm: Closing connection

I then tried naming the path as
C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application Data\lyx16\lyxpipe\lyxpipe
but the error was
Setting debug level to 0
LyXComm: Could not create pipe C:\Documents and Settings\Ken\Application
Data\lyx16\lyxpipe\lyxpipe.in
LyXComm: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
LyXComm: Closing connection

that shouldn't have prevented the creation of the pipes. As Pavel suggested, try using something with no space. Maybe just c:\lyxpipe

rh