This link was useful:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe#Named_pipes_in_Windows

Named pipes in Windows

In Windows, the design of named pipes is based towards client-server
communication, and they work much like sockets, other than the usual
read and write operations. Windows named pipes also support an
explicit "passive" mode for server applications (compare: Unix domain
sockets). Windows 95 supports named pipe clients, Windows NT based
systems can also be servers.

The named pipe can be accessed much like a file. Win32 SDK functions
such as CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile and CloseHandle can be used to
open, read from, write to, and close a pipe. There is no command line
interface like Unix.

Named pipes aren't permanent and can't be created as special files on
any writable filesystem, unlike in Unix, but are volatile names (freed
after the last reference to them is closed) allocated in the root
directory of the named pipe filesystem (NPFS), mounted under the
special path \\.\pipe\ (that is, a pipe named "foo" would have a full
path name of \\.\pipe\foo). Anonymous pipes used in pipelining are
actually named pipes with a random name.

They are very rarely seen by users, but there are notable exceptions.
The VMware Workstation PC hardware virtualization tool, for instance,
can expose emulated serial ports to the host system as named pipes,
and the WinDbg kernel mode debugger from Microsoft supports named
pipes as a transport for debugging sessions (in fact, VMware and
WinDbg can be coupled together - since WinDbg normally requires a
serial connection to the target computer - letting driver developers
do their development and testing on a single computer). Both programs
require the user to enter names in the \\.\pipe\name form.