Dear Richard, remember to always include the list on your replies.

I thought you were on Windows as you spoke of MikTeX. But no problem.
First of all, generate the PDF of your document and check what LaTeX
says on the hyphenation patterns being used. You can check that in LyX
in "Document->Latex Log". There you will see a message at the
beggining saying:

Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english...

Those are the languages being used by Babel. If you found "Italian",
then LaTeX is using Italian and I don't know what the problem is. If
you cannot find it, the it means you have to install th package
"texlive-lang-italian", which loads the Italian hyphenation pattern.

I hope this helps.
Julio Rojas
jcredbe...@gmail.com