Hi John,

I use a lot both Zotero and LyX but my workflow consists in never using
bibtex files directly exported from Zotero. Instead (for several reasons and
not because of the problems you mention) I always export from Zotero to
BibDesk (an application similar to JabRef, but only available for Mac OS X)
and then I use from LyX the .bib file generated by BibDesk. This always
works very well.

So, I could only try to give you the following 2 different suggestions:

1) 1st suggested solution: export from Zotero to JabRef and then use the
JabRef file in conjunction with LyX
OR:
2) 2nd suggested solution: try to use the .bib file generated by Zotero but
when you export this file from Zotero don't check the UTF8 option

As to the fact that sometimes the key of some records in the .bib file
generated by Zotero has 4 ? this is due to the fact that Zotero, when
exports records in the bibtex format, automatically creates the bibtex key
for each records following this convention:
lastname1stauthor_1stwordoftitle_publication year.
When the publication year field is empty, Zotero adds 4 ? at the end of the
bibtex key created as explained above.

Hope this can be useful.

Best wishes

pierfranco