On 6.1.2010 10:08, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:

I'm a new comer to Lyx, and reading some of the tute and skim reading topics of interest the rest.

I'm still left with a question. (hope I didn't miss it)

If creating a book with a couple hundred pages, do I put it all in one big lyx file, or do I split it across multiple files (say one file per chapter),

You can choose either way.

and somehow pull each chapter into book with some sort of include command?

Yes, you can insert a child via the menu "Insert->File->Child Document".

I know other programs would suggest the multiple document way so you don't have to scroll around a single massive file looking for the area you want to work on, however the navigator in Lyx would seem to mitigate that effect.

I just want to understand the Lyx way of structuring a large book.

I'm guessing if Lyx does support files for each chapter, then the navigator would not 'span' the multiple files allowing jumping from chapter to chapter?

It does span the multiple files, it computes the correct chapter numbers and so on..

Also the book will have a large number of images, do you usually put them all in one directory or put them in some sort of hierarchical directory structure.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

Vincent