Luca Carlon wrote:

Anyway, this is a problem related to this specific file, i.e. my thesis, as if I create a new file and I insert in there an eps file, pdflatex correctly produces the PDF. This is happening under both Linux and MacOSX.
Any idea why?

I see. your LyX works with .eps files, just not this particular one.

So, either something is wrong with the file itself, or possibly
the file name.

To check that the file itself is ok, try opening it with some
PDF viewer (gv, gs, ...) or check that it can be previewed inside LyX. (I.e. turn instant preview on in "tools->settings->graphics" and the eps image should show up inside the main window. But of course this may fail if LyX has a bug that affects this particular file.)

Now, LyX complains about the file extension of this particular file,
so maybe there is a problem with the file name.

Does the filename really end in ".eps", or do it end in something
like ".eps." or ".eps " ?  An extra blank or uppercase letters will
ruin the file extension for LyX. Also check if the filename
contains spaces or other unusual characters - LyX has a history of
problems with such things.

Extra spaces can be hard to see, but the linux command line has a
little trick for this. Type "ls " followed by the first few characters
of the filename. Type enough characters so that no other file
starts with the same sequence. Then press the TAB key. Linux will then complete the filename for you. If it contains spaces, then those spaces
will be prefixed with a backslash so you can see them.

If the file is in some other directory, beware of directories with
strange names., (spaces etc.) This too has been a problem before.

You can also try copying the file to a different filename (test.eps), and then inserting this copy into LyX. That should take care of
any problem with the filename. Put the copy in the same
directory as the lyx document, to avoid any problems with
directory names.

Helge Hafting