On 01/27/2010 12:42 PM, Daniel Klein wrote:
Hi,

The package I am working with adds adds large spaces before and after a
section header. At the moment I add \vspace{-.5cm} before and after the
section header to equal that out. Is there a way to include the two
vspace in the definition for section in the layout file? Thanks in advance

\vspace*{-.5}
\section{Section}
\vspace*{-.5}

Sort of. You basically need to redefine the \section command to do what you want, then put that redefinition into a Preamble block in your layout file. Note that this is not as trivial as it may seem, however. The usual sort of trick:
    \let\oldsec=\section
    \renewcommand\section[1]{...\oldsec...}
fails, because of details of how \section works. (In particular, because of how \section* is handled).

Another possibility is to use the titlesec package, which helps you customize things like this.

All of that said, if you don't like how your class file does section headings, why are you using it? This is very much part of what the class file is.

rh