On 2010-02-01, rgheck wrote:
> On 02/01/2010 02:29 PM, Tim Hutt wrote:
>> On 1 February 2010 19:22, rgheck<rgh...@bobjweil.com>  wrote:

> ... All you have to do is have a special mode where LyX displays the
> raw LaTeX, which it knows how to generate. This would be kind of like
> the "preview" mode, where it displays a little picture. Switching back
> to "LyX" mode would then read the LaTeX---LyX knows how to do this in
> the math case---and display the LyX form.

How about a consistent behaviour of ERT, math, note, and other insets:

  If the cursor is on the very beginning and you press Backspace, the
  inset is dissolved and the content inserted as normal text.

Currently, this works with ERT, ... but not math (where the cursor just
moves out of the box).

This way, you can convert an equation to the source text (which might
be desirable for copying as well).

The other way round is already implemented: Mark a valid math
expression (like \sin(x)) and press Ctrl-M.

(Having to mark the equation before the (back)conversion might be a
disadvantage over a toggle. However, a toggle and a separate "raw math"
state would need to be programmed and remembered separately.
For "heavy users" I'd recommend a command sequence that sets a bookmark
(or two) before the math-text conversion.)

Günter