On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Virgil Stokes wrote:

First, I am trying to get started with LyX (vers. 1.6.4) on a Ubuntu (vers. 9.10) platform. I am also very new with Ubuntu trying to migrate from Windows.

Second, your work on this package is impressive. It downloaded and installed very easily.

Third, I started by looking at some of your templates. Many of these would not "compile" --- gave a rather long error message in a window that was labeled

  There's nothing to compile.

  Recommendation: take the tutorial. On main menu Help -> Tutorial.

Rich