Am 03.02.2010 20:05, schrieb Virgil Stokes:

First, I am trying to get started with LyX (vers. 1.6.4) on a Ubuntu
(vers. 9.10) platform. I am also very new with Ubuntu trying to migrate
from Windows...

LyX: Document class not available

This is because every LaTeX distribution only offers a basic set of document classes in the default installation.

I did look at Customization documentation as suggested in the error
message in this window; however, I still could not understand how to fix
the problem. Unfortunately, the error message does not give any
information on what *.sty and/or *.cls files are missing. For example,
when I tried the template elsarticle.lyx this error message came up.

elsarticle is a template for the Elsevier scientific article document class. It is used for journal publications in Elsevier journals. If you need to use this document class, you have to install it. This is easily done using the TeXLive package manager.

The problem is that Ubuntu still installs by default an old version of the LaTeX distribution TeXLive. It is recommended to use TeXLive 2008 or 2009 instead of the predefined version 2007 because since version 2008 there is a package manager available.

On Windows the package handling is easier than on Ubuntu: When installing LyX, all LaTeX-packages supported and used by LyX will automatically also installed. When you later compile a document and LaTeX cannot find a package or document class, it will automatically try to install it from the Internet without bothering you.

regards Uwe