> You will then get an image that works with DVI, PDF and PS.
> These alternatives handles images a little differently, and LyX knows
> that. But LyX doesn't help you with ERT stuff.

Thanks for that. I finally managed this afternoon to try, and it is
easier to manage, certainly: BUT the dvi files I make don't contain the
JPG photographs: that is, the file compiles OK with no errors, and the
correct amount of space is left, but no file is there, just the caption.
PDFs come out fine on the other hand. But the quality of the rest is
much higher on my system using a dvi so I'd prefer to use that...